Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Polls

Polls Start or answer static caravan related polls

Old 04-01-2016, 22:25

Default Free wifi

Just wondering how many of you have free wireless internet via you site?
We are lucky enough to have full access to the internet without restrictions. Eg bandwidth control.
Some sites can and will manage the internet and see who's doing what and when, if someone is download a film, then the admin can restrict the speed, even block the site.
Its not rocket science these days to check on usage via a mac address, which is unique to the user.
If you are lucky enough to have free wifi then that opens up cool gadgets for you static. More to follow.....

Old 05-01-2016, 00:01

We have use of a free Wi-Fi area but not in our van unfortunately . We also can't get a mobile signal on our site either, so we have pretty much had it unless we have a landline installed, but not worth the extra cost IMO so will do without and to be honest not missing it that badly anyway.

Don't think the missus would appreciate me spending half my time on the internet anyway
Old 05-01-2016, 01:13

We have free wifi but it's worse than useless, so invested in a mifi device. It's the best thing I did.

Last edited by Firefly; 09-01-2016 at 21:21.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:02

We have free wi-fi
We have a good signal in our 'van, but I believe some others struggle a bit
Old 05-01-2016, 09:50

We have free WiFi which I installed. You would not believe what some users try to do with it. Especially at weekends, I used to spend most of my time watching what everyone is doing & blocking the use of Amazon Fire TV, Chromecasts, Netflix, Now TV, Sky Go etc. Now I just block all of this all of the time for everyone using a kill file on the system. It only takes a couple of plonkers trying to download films etc & thats what stops the site WiFi working for everyone else. You cant expect a wide area free WiFi on site to be use able as you do at home. We often have 60 plus users on the site WiFi at once. If you had 60 people using your home WiFi, it would be as bad or probably worse than any site WiFi. Its not the site WiFi that is bad, it just gets overwhelmed by people not understanding that it should only be used for Emils & basic web browsing. No downloading films, no facetime, Skype video etc. So don't blame the site WiFi, blame your neighbours. You just have to use it wisely & if you want anthing more than simple Emails & web browsing, go get your own.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44

i agree on your comments re wifi usage, but the fact most people will expect to be able to use there Smart tvs, tablets, etc to the full without considering others.
Simple solution, a good old dvd player, or we save things we have recorded from our set top box (humax) to a portable hard drive which we then take with us.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:19
Banned

we have my fi which is ok for just browsing but if you want to stream video it eats data like mad so very costly.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wrx View Post
i agree on your comments re wifi usage, but the fact most people will expect to be able to use there Smart tvs, tablets, etc to the full without considering others.
Simple solution, a good old dvd player, or we save things we have recorded from our set top box (humax) to a portable hard drive which we then take with us.
AT LAST! Someone else understands. I have tried & tried again to get our users to download their films and stuff for BBC Iplayer when at home. They can then bring everything with them & still enjoy all their media while at the caravan without causing problems for other users. Its even in their own interests as the home download will be far faster enabling them to download more to bring with them. Its a no brainer.
One other point which users may not think of. Although site WiFi is on a business use contract, it is still subject to fair use policy. If I had not restricted video downloads etc, we could easily have lost our internet connection & then nobody would have Free WiFi.

Last edited by RRRob; 05-01-2016 at 12:29.
Old 09-01-2016, 20:39

We need to pay for wifi on our site but I can't get it to work anyway due to where the van is. For tv entertainment I either just watch freeview tv or stuff I've downloaded onto the iPad from iplayer
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39

The thing about FREE wi fi, like a lot of other free stuff,....

1/ Its cheap...but not necessarily good value

2/ it might only be 'worth' what you pay for it

3/ you can always get your money back. !!!!! 😄