Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Hobbies

Hobbies Do you have a hobby? Discuss it here

Old 03-08-2012, 16:06

mine was spannerman back in the late 70s and 80s, i still have a cb now that i bought from an off road show about 10 years ago to use when i was into off roading before i bought the caravan.

when i get another car i mite put it in but will change my ( handle ) to cornish rattler as everyone is called spannerman now
in Sunny Cornwall.

Old 26-02-2013, 11:17

Both my wife and I are licensed amateur radio operators (CB is a dirty word in our house )
My call sign is MVFR and Baz's (my wife) is M6ZBT. You can see us both on QRZ.com

One of the things we will be making sure of when deciding which site we want to have our (first) static on is that we will be allowed to put our antennas up when we are "in residence".
After I had explained exactly what that would involve the site we are seeing next week indicated that they WILL allow it

Someone earlier in this thread asked how far you can transmit/receive ..... short answer is ..... all around the world (and sometimes just a few miles) .... depending on atmospheric conditions, antenna, type of operating mode (SSB, CW, FM etc) and terrain.

One of the joys of the hobby is that things are just not "black and white" and there is always something new to learn and someone new to talk to.
It can be hugely rewarding ..... and hugely frustrating too at times

Steve
Old 26-02-2013, 13:40

Mine was Waterbabe and I also met my hubby on the CB.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15

mines is GM2ZBA dont have the hard ware any more since moving to a multi story flat
Old 05-08-2013, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornish rattler View Post
Hi guys

does anyone use a cb radio or an ameture radio in there caravan, if so what distance can you speak to peeps on
I also am a radio ham and have been so for the past 35 years or so. Distance is a hard one to answer because it is dependent on frequency & propogation conditions. From our van, VHF & UHF are useless because we are in a valley & we don't even geta phone or Freeview signal so on those bands I would say maybe 5 to 10 miles at Best On the HF bands or shortwave, dependent on propogation conditions Ican speak to people all over the world. Certainly worked most of Europe & America. On the lower HF bands inter GB is the norm so pretty much one end of the country to the other end and into most of the EU at times. Its not ideal as you have to take into account the fact that its a holiday site & most people come to enjoy the picturesque views so would not enjoy seeing a large array of ham radio antennas! My caravan is on the edge of a wood so I have a disguised antenna just into the first row of trees so none of my neighbours even know its there. In fact, I have been using the antenna for 3 years now and it got spotted for the first time last week when someone came up the side of my van & into the woods to walk their dog.
Old 08-03-2018, 16:43
Supporting Member

Default Rare DX

I had a few QSL cards from the bruro, one was from 5V7JH Togo I worked them from the caravan with my KX3 and a W3EDP wire antenna thrown up a tree at the side of the caravan! 10 watts! Togo is a very small country in Africa this is a very rare Call Sign,