Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 02-02-2015, 16:25
Supporting Member

Default Insulation In New Statics

Am I correct in thinking, that while new/modern vans may come with DG & CH, together with wall and roof insulation, that they don't generally have ANY underfloor insulation, relying only on carpet & underlay for insulation ??????
Or am I wrong ?
I ask because I see there is a thriving business in aftermarket underfloor insulation and I don't see any mention of it in manufacturer's brochures !!

Old 02-02-2015, 16:54

Our old van did have just what can only be described as black bin bag plastic as insulation under neath from new.Our new van came with additional insulation wall,roof and underfloor ,dg,ch as standard,and it does make a difference.and it also came with a fantastic eleccy fire.
Old 02-02-2015, 17:28
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Our old van did have just what can only be described as black bin bag plastic as insulation under neath from new.Our new van came with additional insulation wall,roof and underfloor ,dg,ch as standard,and it does make a difference.and it also came with a fantastic eleccy fire.
Which van have you got now TT ?
Old 02-02-2015, 17:39

Carnaby Melrose new in 2012.....
Old 02-02-2015, 18:11

Hi I lot of caravans that we have fitted floor insulation to have been new caravans so yes you are right also these no more insulation in a new caravan then they is in a older caravan
We have double glazed new caravans (still on the forecourt) and ones that have been Upto 40 yrs old and all have had the same insulation in them
Even some of the new big caravans with a 60mm /70mm wall thickness only have the same insulation in as the old caravans in fact we cut out for a French door on a 70mm wall caravan and they was no insulation what so ever there just timber and aluminium tin
Old 02-02-2015, 18:33
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravanwindowman View Post
Hi I lot of caravans that we have fitted floor insulation to have been new caravans so yes you are right also these no more insulation in a new caravan then they is in a older caravan
We have double glazed new caravans (still on the forecourt) and ones that have been Upto 40 yrs old and all have had the same insulation in them
Even some of the new big caravans with a 60mm /70mm wall thickness only have the same insulation in as the old caravans in fact we cut out for a French door on a 70mm wall caravan and they was no insulation what so ever there just timber and aluminium tin
Hmmmm!!! Looks like I may be contacting you soon for a quote once I eventually get a delivery date .
Cheers CWM
Old 02-02-2015, 19:42

Just found paperwork
Additional insulation spec.to Grade2.
External wall bulkheads fitted with 50mm fibreglass insulation.
Under floor fitted with "Floortherm" high performance,permeable thermal insulation membrane.
Ceiling Cavity fitted with "Airflex" high performance ,bubble-foil waterproof thermal insulation membrane.and pipe lagging.

Must admit dg and Ch and insulation are now options,and looking at most manufacturers new vans it makes sense when ordering to make sure you have specified these and the extra costs involved.and best to check bed sizes

Last edited by treetopper; 02-02-2015 at 19:45.
Old 02-02-2015, 20:16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Just found paperwork
Additional insulation spec.to Grade2.
External wall bulkheads fitted with 50mm fibreglass insulation.
Under floor fitted with "Floortherm" high performance,permeable thermal insulation membrane.
Ceiling Cavity fitted with "Airflex" high performance ,bubble-foil waterproof thermal insulation membrane.and pipe lagging.

Must admit dg and Ch and insulation are now options,and looking at most manufacturers new vans it makes sense when ordering to make sure you have specified these and the extra costs involved.and best to check bed sizes
Wow TT. No wonder your van is cosy. The one I have on order has DG and CH, with 50mm wall and 100mm roof insulation, full winter pack option.
Must check in the underfloor option before it's too late. But, I forget, we have CWM at the ready, just like Superman.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Am I correct in thinking, that while new/modern vans may come with DG & CH, together with wall and roof insulation, that they don't generally have ANY underfloor insulation, relying only on carpet & underlay for insulation ??????
Or am I wrong ?
I ask because I see there is a thriving business in aftermarket underfloor insulation and I don't see any mention of it in manufacturer's brochures !!
We bought a new caravan last year and it came with CH, DG, wall and roof insulation and full insulation underneath including all piping lagged, and I assumed that this would be standard in new vans.

A brand new caravan , a Willerby Vacation, 28 X 10, was put on the row behind us and the new owner and I got chatting. A few weeks later we noticed the van was empty. While walking around the site I discovered the owners of the new van were still on the site but had moved to a larger, better insulated van. She said that the first van had no CH or DG, little insulation and was very cold and had major problems with condensation and they were ready to leave till the chance of another van came up.

So it seem that they do not necessarily make new vans with extra insulation, surely this should be standard in this day and age.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 03-02-2015 at 08:34.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
We bought a new caravan last year and it came with CH, DG, wall and roof insulation and full insulation underneath including all piping lagged, and I assumed that this would be standard in new vans.

A brand new caravan , a Willerby Vacation, 28 X 10, was put on the row behind us and the new owner and I got chatting. A few weeks later we noticed the van was empty. While walking around the site I discovered the owners of the new van were still on the site but had moved to a larger, better insulated van. She said that the first van had no CH or DG, little insulation and was very cold and had major problems with condensation and they were ready to leave till the chance of another van came up.

So it seem that they do not necessarily make new vans with extra insulation, surely this should be standard in this day and age.
Which van did you buy Heather ?