Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 03-02-2015, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Which van did you buy Heather ?
Hi Rainbow.
We bought a Delta Sienna, which I believe is a special made for a couple of large resorts. It's a step up from a basic model and we are very happy with it as it came with a lot of extras, including CH, DG, extra thick insulation (walls, roof, and underneath) lagged pipes, outside light, fridge freezer, voiles on all windows, matching scatter cushions to the curtains, cooker extractor hood and shower extractor. I know Delta have a bad reputation with a number of people, mainly because of their infamous Santanas and Nordstars, but I have no complaints to date. Delta seem to have got their act together and are now making a lot of good quality vans and lodges. We did look at the Willerby Vacation and ABI Summer Breeze/Elegance/Sunscape caravans as well as a few others. We felt that the Sienna had a few extras going for it, one of which was useful over- bed cupboards which the others didn't have.
Have a look at my bucket, I've put a few pictures of our new van on there.
Heather

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Old 03-02-2015, 13:54
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
Hi Rainbow.
We bought a Delta Sienna, which I believe is a special made for a couple of large resorts. It's a step up from a basic model and we are very happy with it as it came with a lot of extras, including CH, DG, extra thick insulation (walls, roof, and underneath) lagged pipes, outside light, fridge freezer, voiles on all windows, matching scatter cushions to the curtains, cooker extractor hood and shower extractor. I know Delta have a bad reputation with a number of people, mainly because of their infamous Santanas and Nordstars, but I have no complaints to date. Delta seem to have got their act together and are now making a lot of good quality vans and lodges. We did look at the Willerby Vacation and ABI Summer Breeze/Elegance/Sunscape caravans as well as a few others. We felt that the Sienna had a few extras going for it, one of which was useful over- bed cupboards which the others didn't have.
Heather
Well Heather, great to hear you are happy with caravan, park and by the look of the fantastic photos on your bucket, the area too. Some really nice shots there . Clearly you are the accomplished photographer as well as gardener. Do they have a prize for the best floral display on your site or something ??
Back on topic, just phoned the caravan dealer who we have an ABI Roxbury on order with and apart from the spec which we already knew, he confirmed the underfloor comes fully insulated and with lagged pipes. He also confirms that when they site the unit, they lag all the new connections etc. Something as a newbie I hadn't given thought to previously, hence wondering how other folks get by in colder months.
Thanks Heather, Dave.
P.S. I think Delta should pay you for the excellent PR you have just given them !!
Old 05-02-2015, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
Hi Rainbow.
Heather

just looked at your photo's. Looks lovely. Where is your van??
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezbev1 View Post
just looked at your photo's. Looks lovely. Where is your van??
Our van is on the South Wales coast at Rhoose. The photos of the beach are of our 'home' beach at Barry, where we live, just a few miles from where the caravan is sited, best of both worlds.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 21-01-2019, 17:01

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before ? But I wonder apart from caravans which are insulated to residential spec...The insulation in normal caravans is quite naff ? I wondered..Is it possible to have cavity wall insulation put into a caravan ?...I'm thinking the stuff they put into houses is just either polystyrene beads or rock wool type which is injected and sprayed into the cavity ?...Could this be done in a caravans cavity ?
Old 21-01-2019, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
I don't know if this has ever been discussed before ? But I wonder apart from caravans which are insulated to residential spec...The insulation in normal caravans is quite naff ? I wondered..Is it possible to have cavity wall insulation put into a caravan ?...I'm thinking the stuff they put into houses is just either polystyrene beads or rock wool type which is injected and sprayed into the cavity ?...Could this be done in a caravans cavity ?
peter, i think that due to the van wall framework it would be impossible to inject and fill the cavity, it is already filled with polystyrene sheet material which would need to come out, if you are looking at upgrading insulation then perhaps the floor as per Gerry64 post putting 75mm foil backed polystyrene sheeting in and maybe bubble foil on that would be best option, double glazing then if not already fitted, i think you have to be realistic in the fact that we have mobile temporary holiday accomodationand it is factory built to that specification, 12 month lodges are better insulated, and new build brick homes are always going to be more heat efficient with modern methods,
i just accept that i have a new caravan and its a holiday home i use till mid december and then from march, for 4 months of the year i need to run the heating a lot, summer i can not open enough windows, but i enjoy my van march august and december, come what may !!
Old 21-01-2019, 17:38

Thanks for that...My van does have under floor insulation already and I have refitted good quality wool carpets with quality underlay ...Which does make a difference....I just wonder how much heat is lost through walls and roof ?

QUOTE=missionblue22;173991]peter, i think that due to the van wall framework it would be impossible to inject and fill the cavity, it is already filled with polystyrene sheet material which would need to come out, if you are looking at upgrading insulation then perhaps the floor as per Gerry64 post putting 75mm foil backed polystyrene sheeting in and maybe bubble foil on that would be best option, double glazing then if not already fitted, i think you have to be realistic in the fact that we have mobile temporary holiday accomodationand it is factory built to that specification, 12 month lodges are better insulated, and new build brick homes are always going to be more heat efficient with modern methods,
i just accept that i have a new caravan and its a holiday home i use till mid december and then from march, for 4 months of the year i need to run the heating a lot, summer i can not open enough windows, but i enjoy my van march august and december, come what may !![/QUOTE]
Old 22-01-2019, 16:16

Quote:
Thanks for that...My van does have under floor insulation already and I have refitted good quality wool carpets with quality underlay ...Which does make a difference....I just wonder how much heat is lost through walls and roof ?

QUOTE=missionblue22;173991]peter, i think that due to the van wall framework it would be impossible to inject and fill the cavity, it is already filled with polystyrene sheet material which would need to come out, if you are looking at upgrading insulation then perhaps the floor as per Gerry64 post putting 75mm foil backed polystyrene sheeting in and maybe bubble foil on that would be best option, double glazing then if not already fitted, i think you have to be realistic in the fact that we have mobile temporary holiday accomodationand it is factory built to that specification, 12 month lodges are better insulated, and new build brick homes are always going to be more heat efficient with modern methods,
i just accept that i have a new caravan and its a holiday home i use till mid december and then from march, for 4 months of the year i need to run the heating a lot, summer i can not open enough windows, but i enjoy my van march august and december, come what may !!
[/QUOTE]

hi, indeed good carpets and underlay will help a lot, my van is new and so called insulated, it felt like it was about 1inch thick loft type under the black plastic when i was under there fitting the side skirting, if i was able to use my van during end december, jan and feb, i would defiantly be fitting the 3 inch foam board but in reality its only the last 3 weeks and the first 3 weeks that i notice the cold floors, slippers rugs and heating up a bit sorts that out, lost heat thru walls and ceilings, quite a big loss i fear as no loft space, either for much insulation or indeed air gap so unless a false ceiling with insulation and air gap then nothing much can be done i fear, same with the walls, most of april thru to mid november its not an issue for me, but we are all different, if i find some insulation boards at the right price i may fit them to see it can't hurt but its not high on my list, trace heating is next on my list, after i complete my small solar set up experiment for powering usb devises,
keep warm enjoy the van
Old 22-01-2019, 16:56

I remember from my GCE physics days heat rises !....So really all the under floor insulation does is stops the cold coming up through the floor ?..

I suppose it's in the roof and walls where we need the insulation ??
Old 23-01-2019, 08:19
Supporting Member

Quote:
I remember from my GCE physics days heat rises !....So really all the under floor insulation does is stops the cold coming up through the floor ?..

I suppose it's in the roof and walls where we need the insulation ??
You have remembered part of it correctly( warm air rises & cold air falls) but there are the other physics factors at play as well. Do you remember conduction, convection , & radiation i.e. the methods of heat transference? All these are in play within the way your ‘van is effected by the outside world.
Better insulation on any exterior surface of a ‘van will insulate( isolate)it more lessoning these factors effect.
Most people regard the floor of the ‘van as the weak link and easiest to improve as then have to work out which way they do it and get most benefit for least money.

P.S. We have just put a few rugs down in those cold floor areas and it has worked for us so far. When it gets to the time for replacing carpets or lino better quality products will help as well. As yet I haven’t looked into improving underfloor insulation but I may do one day.

Last edited by DavidE; 23-01-2019 at 08:27.