Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Self build

Self build Discussion and advice on all aspects involved creating either a self build or a total rebuild of a caravan

Old 31-10-2015, 09:18

Default The groundwork has started

The 40-tonne digger was delivered last night, and our lovely digger driver is already onsite this morning, to start preparing the ground for the delivery of our static.

The sewage pipes and fresh water pipework were delivered yesterday by our local builder's merchant.

We're ordering 2 lorry-loads of 804 gravel on Monday, and that should hopefully be delivered on Tuesday.

There's a tree surgeon coming later in the week to drop two large larch trees, before they drop themselves on our static's bedroom during the next big winter storm. I feel really guilty about this, I hate bringing trees down (secret tree hugger at heart), but I know that our safety has to come first. However, I'm already thinking about planting a couple more trees elsewhere on our land, to make me feel better about bringing these big beauties to the ground.
We'll chop and dry store the larch wood, in the hopes of burning it at a later date when we've a stove fitted in the cottage (or maybe a stove fitted in the static if this winter convinces us that we need one!!!).

So, phase 1 of our mobile home installation has started....and I'm bouncing around like a kid at Christmas. We've owned this cottage for so long now, and done so very little to it over the years with lack of time/money being a major factor, along with some bureaucratic niggles along the way, so it feels good to be doing something productive about moving up there and getting on with fixing it up.

I can post photos (links) of our progress with regards to getting our static in and set up as we go along if anyone's interested

Old 31-10-2015, 11:43

I think everyone here will be happy to see how you get on. Sounds like a big job but also a project well worth undertaking. I think the removal of the trees close to the van would depend on the health of the trees. Our van has a tree right behind it and it is nice & healthy so it makes a good wind break and keeps the caravan nice & sheltered. Mind you, there was that case last year was it where that young lady was living in a caravan while work was carried out on the family home & it came down right on top of the bedroom of the caravan and killed her so if there is the slightest doubt, better safe than sorry. If you keep the wood for later burning then you can do it with a clear concience anyway, especially if you can plant new trees further away from the van to compensate. Good luck with the build & spending the winter in your new caravan home. Updates would be very welcome and I would be very happy to see how you manage staying in the van all winter. I bet I am not alone.
Old 31-10-2015, 15:48
Supporting Member

I echo RRRob's comments.
Good luck with the venture, it sounds exciting and if course, we would all be interested in both hearing of your progress and even better, we love photos
Old 01-11-2015, 16:09

Have to say I've been super impressed with our digger driver. Absolutely no messing and he just gets on with it.

What my husband and I thought might take at least 2 weekends (digger driver works full time with his machines during the week, and only does small jobs like ours at weekends), was done in just over 10 hours...9 hours yesterday, and another hour this morning backfilling the pipe/cable trenches.

Waste pipes are in, water pipes are in, conduit for electrical cabling is in...

Next step is to get 2 lorry loads of 804 gravel delivered, hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. Then another hour or so with the digger, one evening this week, leveling the gravel out, and then we're ready for the static to be delivered.

We do still need to get those two trees felled first too. Two seperate tree surgeons have advised that larch trees are apparently quite shallow rooted and can be unpredictable, even if they look to be in full health. So it's better to be safe than sorry.

Should be able to see pics here of what we've been up to yesterday and today ...if not I'll put a few up on photobucket.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7d277d982e
Old 03-11-2015, 09:29

Well, we're nearly finished with the ground prep.
The last lorry load of gravel was delivered at 8am this morning.

Hopefully the ground pad will be finished this evening, then we're ready to take delivery of our static
Old 03-11-2015, 13:48

Really exciting now....

Have you chopped the trees yet?
Old 03-11-2015, 14:06

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FestiKnitter View Post
The 40-tonne digger was delivered last night, and our lovely digger driver is already onsite this morning, to start preparing the ground for the delivery of our static.

The sewage pipes and fresh water pipework were delivered yesterday by our local builder's merchant.

We're ordering 2 lorry-loads of 804 gravel on Monday, and that should hopefully be delivered on Tuesday.

There's a tree surgeon coming later in the week to drop two large larch trees, before they drop themselves on our static's bedroom during the next big winter storm. I feel really guilty about this, I hate bringing trees down (secret tree hugger at heart), but I know that our safety has to come first. However, I'm already thinking about planting a couple more trees elsewhere on our land, to make me feel better about bringing these big beauties to the ground.
We'll chop and dry store the larch wood, in the hopes of burning it at a later date when we've a stove fitted in the cottage (or maybe a stove fitted in the static if this winter convinces us that we need one!!!).

So, phase 1 of our mobile home installation has started....and I'm bouncing around like a kid at Christmas. We've owned this cottage for so long now, and done so very little to it over the years with lack of time/money being a major factor, along with some bureaucratic niggles along the way, so it feels good to be doing something productive about moving up there and getting on with fixing it up.

I can post photos (links) of our progress with regards to getting our static in and set up as we go along if anyone's interested
All very exciting. I hope everything goes to plan and that you are able to move into your van very soon. Congratulations.
Old 03-11-2015, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
Really exciting now....

Have you chopped the trees yet?
We've had some pretty wild quotes from various tree surgeons, I know they're highly skilled, insured and have expensive machinery to buy for their work etc, but a couple of the quotes were real '*gulp* moments, and I didn't get a good vibe off the cheaper quote-givers...so we may well opt for chainsaw wielding neighbouring farmer* instead, combined with digger driver to 'help' them fall in the safest/chosen direction. But we need to hurry up and make a decision before they start holding us up!

*If they fall in the wrong direction they are his sheds/barn they'll fall on...so hopefully he'll be careful to make sure the trees are persuaded to go in the right direction.

We didn't get a chance to get back up this evening, as my husband has had to work late this evening, so hopefully we can get the digger driver back up tomorrow evening instead.
Old 03-11-2015, 18:57

Argh, all exciting... I'm stressing about giving my new second hand van a good clean before we sleep in it...
Good luck, what an exciting adventure, it may give you the static bug for holidays in the future.
Old 03-11-2015, 19:31
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathbelle View Post
Argh, all exciting... I'm stressing about giving my new second hand van a good clean before we sleep in it...
Good luck, what an exciting adventure, it may give you the static bug for holidays in the future.
it,s even worse moving everything in.