Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Self build

Self build Discussion and advice on all aspects involved creating either a self build or a total rebuild of a caravan

Old 02-12-2015, 09:36

Haha! My campervan is a boy, so the static has to be a girl...she's even got the flowery curtains to prove it!

We're both used to working outdoors in all weathers, so we're well stocked up on the thermal undies

Even though the dealer did a site visit a month or so ago to check access, it was still not as straightforward as he thought it might be, But the strong winds and wet ground were the biggest players. Trying to get the van off the truck and down the ramps, with the wind trying to swing it sideways on its wheels was a sight to behold.
We knew we could have as much length as we wanted, but I think 12' width was as wide as we could go without requiring a crane to bring it on site.

We went up in the dark last night, to play with my festival stall lights (400w halogen floods on long leads) to work out where we want the outdoor lighting positioned around the yard & buildings. Electrician should be up there as soon as he's able. He's also going to rig up some sockets in the bathroom in the cottage. With the plumbing and waste outlets already in situ in that room, it seems the most logical place for our washing machine to go for now.

I've a 4-day Christmas Festival starting tomorrow, the only Christmas event I didn't cancel this year, and once that is over, we can start getting all our worldly goods moved up to the cottage.

Top of today's to-do list is to ring a few gas engineers for quotes to hook up our propane tanks and service/check our boiler

Old 09-12-2015, 19:20

Let there be light!

We now have power to the van and floodlights in the yard.

We (sadly, some might say) sat in it yesterday afternoon, with the OFRs on (providing much needed warmth), and all the lights on (just because we could!), eating sandwiches from the local petrol station. Our first meal in the van, haha!

The electrician was on site all day yesterday, and I had plans to have a go at some of the ivy infestation on the stone buildings and trees. But rain and wind tried to spoil the party, and instead I spent much of the day playing 'pretend' house in the van, deciding what I want to put where etc, and I discovered a pull-out spare bed in the lounge that I had no idea was there!

We weren't going to connect to water until we were ready to actually move into the van (terrified of potential cold weather and our lack of experience draining down)....but our gas fitter informed me that he can't test the boiler is working properly, and heating the water as it should, if there's no water connected. So this weekend's to-do list is to get the water and sewage pipes connected up. We're currently researching the best way to connect the domestic water pipes on the van to the hydrodare pipe we've used to bring water from the well pump.

We're getting there
Old 18-01-2016, 18:47

I'm not sure how much progress we've made since that last post, which is a little disheartening. But we're tied to trying to get everything done at weekends to fit in around my OH's job, and the weather doesn't always co-operate at weekends.

Two weeks in the UK, visiting friends & relatives put a big hole in our preparations. But we're back now, and seem to have brought most of Southampton IKEA's soft-furnishings department back with us. DogDamnit we're going to be warm, if I empty our bank account trying!

We still haven't connected the water, should have been last weekend's job, but sub-zero temperatures put paid to that idea.

Instead we took a few jeep loads of 'stuff' up to the cottage and static. Some to go into storage inside the cottage for now, and some bits were put into the static. Gives me some warm fuzzies seeing a few of our things in the static already

Mr. FestiKnitter has made a set of mighty impressive steps out of pallets, lats for reinforcing/filling the gaps (dog paw trappers!), and gallons of decking oil. We were thinking of just using the rear door this winter, which enters into a hallway. Rather than opening the forward door, which opens straight into the lounge area. We figured we want to try and keep heat in the lounge area as best we can, and opening an external door in the lounge several times a day wasn't going to be a clever way of doing that.

We've ordered some fencing panels, so we can hopefully make the place secure for our dogs, and equally as important, to keep roaming neighbour's dogs out too. If they're ready in time we can start putting the fencing up this weekend.