Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 05-04-2016, 18:43

Hi Jon, just a bit of advice. We have had a caravan on Anglesey for the last four years. We bought it for 6.5k and was told is was a lot younger than it was :-( yes....we were VERY nave! Small caravan site at Benllech. We didn't even realise the woman selling was trying to get away without paying the 10% commission to the site. Anyway, we handed over the money. Thought we would be paying 1,700 site fees until we retired. Long story short - police involved - prev. owner found and forced to pay commission.

Site owner now tells us caravan A LOT older than was told and worth 2-3k. They were raising our rent to 1,800. It was very upsetting as they got us involved with police too but we sucked it up...

Last year, the elderly owner of the site died. Niece takes over and people leaving site right, left and centre. I had tried to get a facebook page set up and the site owner had a go at me as if I'd done something wrong setting up a social site.... Never took off anyway. 'Maintenance charge' introduced so by now we're paying 2,250 a year.

We get a letter at the end of last year saying we had to take the caravan off the site by end of season 2017 as it is then 20 years old (despite being told by prev. seller AND clarified by prev. owner that no age limit as long as tidy....which it is.

So, still nave, I looked for a secondhand caravan and found one a few years old with Mon caravans ( they OWN Anglesey)...and the site deals only with them. Then, was told NO CHANCE - the caravan has to be a new one...start at 27K and they are sheds! Just don't make them like they used to...

So, in a nutshell, we've spent 6k to buy, Getting on for 8K in fees since we bought it. We've replaced boiler and cooker. We've decided to pack it in at the end of this year to save next year's ever rising fees but we will be very lucky if we don't end up paying out to have it scrapped.....and we're left with nothing.

Caravan ownership is fraught because all the laws protect the site-owner. They don't like you forming committees because committees can call for site fees to rise only by 20% a year but that's the end of your rights really.....

I would rule out Anglesey as Mon caravans told us that ALL the sites are asking for new as replacements on there. Site fees are rising fast and if one does it, they all follow. Also, most are saying you CANNOT rent the caravan out so you can't even get help to pay your fees.

We're not sure what to do now. We are semi-retired and wanted the caravan for retirement (not to live in) but looking around, to where we are able to travel, unless you can pay 20-30k and pay around 4k a year, there's not much because cheaper, older vans will be turfed off and we would be left with nothing again!

We're just going to enjoy our last season as it's costing us 2,500 anyway and see what comes up. There definitely needs to be better legislation to protect the caravan owner! Be AWARE and not as nave as we were....

Old 05-04-2016, 22:02

How awful for you. You have to get everything in writing and dont trust that people will be honest and trustworthy when it comes to money. It really is a sad world when people can treat you like this. So sorry that your retirement plans have been taken away from you like this. Xx
Old 05-04-2016, 22:17
Departed Friend

sadly what many people don,t realise is that even on parks with "no age limit"the pitch agreement is renewed annually,so can be ended by the park anytime.
Old 06-04-2016, 13:01

Wow! I'm so sorry ukred, what an awful experience. I thought the big boys were bad, but at least we have an agreement so we know exactly where we stand with them. An experience like you've had would put me off buying a static or lodge for life.
Old 06-04-2016, 13:21

So sorry to hear of your predicament. It must be awful to have your dreams shattered. Unfortunately there is no advice I can give you except look on line to see if there is anywhere on the mainland that might take you and your van. Being almost 20 years old, it could be a problem but maybe worth a look. It won't cost you anything except maybe a few telephone calls if anything looks interesting.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2016, 21:01

Cheers for the advice, sorry to hear the horror story. Without wanting to upset anybody, and, as we are planning a visit to Anglesey over bank holiday, but can the site in question be named on this forum or is that against the rules?
If not, can the poster pm me, or is that not allowed. I don't want to upset park owners that have provided good info accross various threads.
Cheers
Jon
Old 07-04-2016, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
if ang is around she,s the expert for north wales.
Although isn't Angies van in Barmouth which I didn't really think was classed as North Wales, Mick? I may be wrong!
Old 08-04-2016, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianda24 View Post
Although isn't Angies van in Barmouth which I didn't really think was classed as North Wales, Mick? I may be wrong!
It's mid wales,west wales,west north wales...depending on which guide you read....
Old 10-04-2016, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
It's mid wales,west wales,west north wales...depending on which guide you read....
We all call it mid wales, but I think they call it North Wales which always amuses me.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 14-06-2016, 14:52

Default Van on Anglesey

Hi Jon
I have a van on Anglesey near to Red Wharfe Bay (aprox 10 min walk)
The site is owned by a Ltd Co and shareholders have a right to put a van on the site .The site costs are split equally between the shareholders an average apron 400--500 pa each The only other expense is private gas/ elec There are no age restns on vans and dogs are allowed .
My van is a Pemberton Hunter 24 x12 which has been fully modernised with conventional furniture and the settee makes up to a full size double bed
Iam looking for 20000 for the share and around 2000 For the van which may be over your budget but if you do the maths it makes economic sense when you take into account the low annual costs that there is no compulsion to replace the van and the fact that the share tends to appreciate as rents rise on conventional sites
If you want more info you are welcome to contact me