Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:17
Supporting Member

Default Washing your van

How do you all wash the exterior of your van? Any tips with good cleaning product to put in water to bring it up nice and clean that won't effect the paint/coating on van?

Do you use an extension pole with a sponge, if so, where did you buy it,

Do you just hose it all down when complete?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:47

I thought about this for a while, there's a few products on the market to wash, get rid of any streaks and dry with a sparkly finish, and I was advised not to jet wash.

But then I was given a card for man who provides the complete service on our site, all done by hand and super shiny, 30 + 5 for the decking and the price also includes gutters and Windows, so yes I could do it but it's great arriving and it's all done.
There's another couple who will do an interior clean - carpets and upholstery for 30 , so if we wanted to we can have a Draindown external and internal clean for under 100, which we feel is good value.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52
Supporting Member

That is very good value! I would pay that in a minute!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossy View Post
I thought about this for a while, there's a few products on the market to wash, get rid of any streaks and dry with a sparkly finish, and I was advised not to jet wash.

But then I was given a card for man who provides the complete service on our site, all done by hand and super shiny, 30 + 5 for the decking and the price also includes gutters and Windows, so yes I could do it but it's great arriving and it's all done.
There's another couple who will do an interior clean - carpets and upholstery for 30 , so if we wanted to we can have a Draindown external and internal clean for under 100, which we feel is good value.
Hi Gossy, You may be very lucky but I'm sure most of us will not have access to someone who will do all that for 30+5 for the decking.

I was at my daughters yesterday afternoon and the window cleaner arrived. He cleaned the windows and then came for the money. 18 pounds please. Just for cleaning the windows. I would think most people would be charging around 100 for cleaning a van and decking.

Last edited by Mosquito; 05-02-2017 at 12:42.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20

I've got brush that connects to the hose, i think it came from Halfords. It has a chamber that I fill with car shampoo, and doesn't take long to wash the caravan, then I go round again with the suds turned off to rinse it off. I've also got a spray bottle of black streak remover that came from Aldi, or Lidl which works a treat. I also power wash the decking a few times a year, and if someone offered to do the caravan and deck for 35, i would bite their hand off.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:53

We first soak the van one side and one section at a time with a hose to soften dirt and have ready some caravan cleaning shampoo added to a large bucket of warm water. We then apply this generously to the van with a soft telescopic brush and only doing about one half of one side of the van at a time. We then rinse this soapy section off with a hose, before it gets a chance to dry and then move on to the next section of the van. We do not wash in warm weather or when the sun is out and always ends up streak free by allowing to dry naturally.

Aldi at certain times of the year (possibly spring) sell a caravan cleaner which we and many use on here, link to an image of the cleaner below:

http://offers.kd2.org/pics/aa/94/aa9...d787cf5294.jpg
Old 05-02-2017, 13:50
Supporting Member

Thanks for good advice all.
Old 05-02-2017, 15:19
Supporting Member

I'm really looking forward to March and giving our van a good clean! Got the shampoo, telescopic brush and black streak remover. Only just over 3 weeks now.

Am I the only one that has a count down timer on my phone that tells me how many days and hours til March 1st? Well it will be our first season!
Old 05-02-2017, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexsteve View Post

Am I the only one that has a count down timer on my phone that tells me how many days and hours til March 1st? Well it will be our first season!
No, I've got one too, only 23 days 16 hrs 36 mins to go
Old 05-02-2017, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexsteve View Post
Am I the only one that has a count down timer on my phone that tells me how many days and hours til March 1st?
I don't have a count down timer, but do have a weather app on my mobile
For me it's not about the 1st March, but whether there is still any frost about
Really don't fancy opening up in early March and then find before I leave, the van needs draining again