SPONSOR:
Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Unhappy Flies

Hi

Just got back from our first weekend in the van. We are thrilled to bits with the caravan and have now settled all our stuff in and had a great weekend. However, when we viewed the caravan a few weeks ago we noticed a few dead flies on the window sill and didn't think anything of it. On arriving at the van yesterday there were perhaps 25 dead flies on the window sill again. I cleaned them all up, lifting all the seating and thoroughly hoovered everywhere to make sure there were no more. Then after a few hours we noticed 2 live flies in the window. Again we got rid of them and another couple of hours later noticed a couple more. So we bought some fly killer and Wil took the vents off near the windows and sprayed in the gap.

Nightmare!! We could hear them buzzing away in the wall of the caravan. He kept spraying and some flew out and died. However, I am obviously very concerned that they will have laid lots of eggs and we will have an ongoing problem. Also will all the dead flies start smelling in the cavity wall??? Euuhhhww I'm really a bit freaked out by it and am now obsessing!! Has anyone had a similar problem, and how difficult is it to resolve?

I am thinking about just calling in pest control this week to get them to check it out. They just look like normal houseflies, but I am now dreading going back to the caravan.

Any advice welcome

Dizzil

Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Hi Dizzle, you will need to cover all your vents with a mesh, we used the one that you normally hang in doorways very fine and black ( can be bought in the Range about 7), its just about the norm to have flies at certain times of the year we all have them.
HTH

http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc408/clivee2/
Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi Dizzil, sorry to read your weekend was marred with the dratted flies! They'll be cluster flies? http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th6e.htm
Parkandleisure will I'm sure be able to help you out as you can't be the first with this problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Oh Dizzle

I can sympathise with you. These are cluster flies and we had them end September/October. Have a look at the following link

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...=cluster+flies

We would have around 30 to 40 dead flies every time we went back to the van. We noticed them coming through the Velux roof light so we bought new seals. Thats stopped them from that entry point. Then by the patio doors they gained entry so we noticed very large gaps and we sealed the gaps round the windows too. Once I hoovered them up I would notice more flies. We would go shopping and by the time I got back more dead flies. I come to a point where I wanted to sell the van. They were in the lounge and the main bedroom. We did not seal any of the vents We could hear them buzzing when the sun was out in the roof space and the walls. We have not been back yet as they do appear in March/April and they do fly away.

You can purchase products cheaper than Rentokil

http://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/

The only thing is if you kill them in the roof space how do you get rid of the dead flies? They do fly away eventualy. The drove me mad. Hope you manage to get it sorted. Fingers crossed when I do go to the van we have sorted it.

Last edited by Bobsnobs; 06-09-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM

hi my dad had a static a few years ago , had the same thing, not just a couple but hundreds and hundreds of them in the walls , always at the start of the season , he ened up selling it , the site was a old orchard with fruit trees still around the park , i still remember going there at the start of the season and hearing buzzing in the walls , get a pro in to sort it out
Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Hi all

Thanks so much for the advice. Bobsnobs, just read through your original thread so you know exactly where I am coming from! It's awful isn't it.

I think from the noise the flies made when we sprayed Raid fly killer directly into the vents there are an awful lot of them breeding in the walls, so I have decided I would rather pay and get a professional in to get it sorted. It will just take the edge off buying the van for me completely if I have to keep clearing them up for the next few months while we try and sort it ourselves. I think they must have had a problem at the dealers we bought the van from as there were some flies in it when we bought it but they were all dead and I never thought any more about it. I did see them on the window sills in a number of vans they had for sale, so I am hoping if we get rid of them that could be the end of it as I think the source was where we bought it from, not the site we have moved it to.

I'm determined not to let it ruin having the van for me though as aside from that I am thrilled to bits with it and the kids love it too.

Thanks again everyone - it's such a great site this as someone is always able to help and advise
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Hi Dizzil have you identified what type of fly they are, my first thought was blue bottles i.e was the previous owner a coarse fisherman and had his maggots escaped and are now hatching .Noel
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Just tell us is it a willerbey ? because it seems to be generally.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Hi Maddy

Ours is a Willerby. Not been back since the shut down so we do not know if we have any more. If we do have the odd one or two then there are a few more windows which we will put sealant round the exposed edges. I know Rentokil can eliminate them as we called them. They did say there would be no access to the roof space and they would not be able to get rid on the dead flies so we opted for them to fly away. Other people n the site have had the same and they said that once they flew off in the March/April they only got house flies coming in through the open doors in the summer. Watch this space.

This is a good alternative. Not used it yet because my husband wont allow it. However, what the eyes dont see.hmmmmm

http://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/

Last edited by Bobsnobs; 06-09-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Hi, ours is an ABI. We have already killed quite a few in the wall cavity and were able to hoover some of them up, but there will definately be more dead ones we couldn't reach with the hoover so am a bit worried they will smell?? I am going to ring Anglesey council pest control in the morning and see what they say. I'll keep you posted.