SPONSOR:
Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 15-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Default no time limit sites

Hi All ,
Sorry to be a pain again , but I do need the answers to a lot of questions before I finally purchase the static of my choice . I,ve noticed the many holiday home parks that only allow a static to be on the site for no more than 15 years , which incidently is just another unscrupulous rip off ! surely the quality statics that are being manufactured these days can way outlast that time period if looked after well !
With this in mind can any members recomend any nice scenic sites that allow an indefinate time allowance for your static to be sited there ? I have not had much positive feedback from my previous enquiries , so is there anyone who can help me please .

Old 15-05-2011, 07:56 PM

I came accross some when looking for our van. Can't remember their names but they are from the Silloth and Allonby area. No age limit on vans but it depended on the condition. Our site is 20 years but it's in S/W Scotland. Not the area you're looking at.
Old 15-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Hi All ,
Sorry to be a pain again , but I do need the answers to a lot of questions before I finally purchase the static of my choice . I,ve noticed the many holiday home parks that only allow a static to be on the site for no more than 15 years , which incidently is just another unscrupulous rip off ! surely the quality statics that are being manufactured these days can way outlast that time period if looked after well !
With this in mind can any members recomend any nice scenic sites that allow an indefinate time allowance for your static to be sited there ? I have not had much positive feedback from my previous enquiries , so is there anyone who can help me please .
As a park owner I am understandably upset my your comments and you clearly don't have a full picture of the industry.

If you go to a park without a time limit then you need to look carefully at the contract. No time limit generally means the park owner can chuck you off the park whenever they like. I have a copy of a letter which is used for this purpose and its about 4 lines long. Of course this can be extended by adding storage charges for your caravan while they wait for you to remove your caravan. Trust me this happens! No time limit generally means you get 1 year of tenure at a time, to give you no limit al all give you the plot for life which I can't see any park doing.

On a well run park you will be offered a period of time during which you can site your caravan. Be it 10, 20 or more years you can't be removed from park unless you break the terms of the contracts. Our trade association work on a contract with the OFT, this is the one we use as it is the most fair to our customers and also it protects our business.

I think you need to do a little more homework before you proceed as you could end up in an unhappy situation.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 15-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Hi All ,
Here's a bit of advice,you are not just upsetting Park owners,but van owners .
Old 15-05-2011, 09:29 PM

im confused i dont understand why you r both so upset by the comment can u explain it to me cos i couldn't see what was wrong in the comment

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/Coralee34
Old 15-05-2011, 10:40 PM

I took exception the use of the word unscrupulous.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:39 AM

As a buyer of a caravan who invested most of her savings into a life style, I can understand your concerns. But I think you mean caravans over a particular age must be upgraded or removed.
As a consumer you are doing the right thing by doing your home work but this is not fool proof. I was on a site where they had a change of directors who decided to bring in a 10 year age rule just after a year after we bought a 11 year old caravan from them. Thankfully, there is a code of practice and owners were given three years window to upgrade. Then the Directors changed again and the status quo was reinstalled.
So remember 10 years is a long time, do your sums and then most importantly enjoy!
Old 16-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Supporting Member

Unscrupulous rip off? That's going to get you lots of good advice on this forum...
Old 16-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Supporting Member

If I were you Legend, I wouldn't consider buying something as expensive as a Static on someone's land. I would buy my own land and stick an old van on it, then it can stay there as long as you like.
But, joking aside, I think you would be better investing in bricks and mortar, at least then you would own the land to do with as you please.
ML.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Default p

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh