SPONSOR:
Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.
Wink Draining down.

Hi all.I was just pondering today about draining down the caravan.We are new to statics this year and we know that towards the winter months the caravan has to be drained down to avoid pipes bursting and damage to the boiler etc.This bit i understand.Now...my question is:What if your site is open for 10 and half months which is through some of the coldest months of the year? We can only get down to our van at weekends,so what would happen to the van during the week?:.Would we have to drain the van down each week or would you have to leave some form of heating on in the van which is surely a fire hazard? Puzzling(to me anyway)

Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Smile

Hi, last year we paid Haven 60 to take care of the drain down. This is exactly what they did.

Disconnected the mains water - very easy now I've seen it.
Put anti-freeze in the toilet bowl.

That was it so no need to pay if your site offers this service. In addition you should take away all the curtains and bed linen so it doesn't get mouldy and leave out bowls of salt. Check on it once a month to replace the salt if you want but it should be okay.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Site should & DO drain all water from pipes & toilets, any water that expands will freeze & blow the plastic joints.

Don't use salt as it expands, overflows the bowls & makes a mess.
Use cat litter which keeps working throughout the closed season, is also far cheaper.
Don't close curtains up which some owners do, but remove & take home to clean.
All bed mattresses & sofas etc must be away from walls, don't cover these with plastic which some owners do as this ends up with mould being introduced.

Put mothballs down on airvents as this stops vermin (farmers put them in tractors etc to keep out mice etc..).

Pay the site to do draindown then if anything goes wrong they are responsible for fixing.
Do it yourself can result in the cost of a new boiler etc..
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM

I agree, I though the park would drain down everything, they even said they disconnect elec. and gas. None of that was done two times in a row. Worth letting them do it once, see if they do a good job but my park doesn't. It's probably worth it if the park takes responsibility for any damage caused over the winter.
Old 14-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Hi Dasboot,

The site I'm on is open over 10 months of the year. I only have the full drain down for the couple of months the site is closed.

For the rest of the time this is what I did:

When it starts to get cold (say end of september) turn off your water underneath van as you would normally do. Then go back into van, turn on all the taps, flush the toilet, and then let the shower hose hang down in the shower. Also unscrew shower head itself.

When it starts to get frosty I leave the pilot light lit on the boiler even when I'm not there (a man who works on the site advised this).

I've never had a problem with boiler damage or pipes freezing using this method.

You definitely need to drain down fully when the site closes though.

This is just what I do. Follow at your own risk!
Old 23-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Draining down

Hi, we bought our caravan last year and as everyone knows last winter was extremely cold. Our van was brand new and we used it every weekend even in the really cold spells last year. (site only closes in Feb)

Each weekend we drained it down etc, but my question is should we continue with this for this winter. We were told when leaving the van each week to set the radiators to the 'frost symbol' and turn the boiler themostat to frost - so does that mean if it drops below a certain temperature that it comes on and therefore stop everything from freezing.

Would be grateful for any advice. (real reason behind this although feel a bit stupid saying it is we got a verandah built this year which goes across the hatch access to turn the mains off - never gave it a thought when we were measuring - partner although not on the tubby side will have a wee bit of a job each week crawling underneath verandah to get access- aaah the joys - lol!!!)

Last edited by onella; 23-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 23-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Supporting Member

Hi there,
I would STRONGLY recommend turning off the water every time you leave, because if the boiler for whatever reason goes to lockout or fault occurs the heating will not come on and therefore the chances of burst pipes and damage will be a lot higher. Imagine leaving on the Sunday nite and returning the following Friaday to puddles of water swollen wooden furniture and possible floor replacement.
I personally recommend a full drain as the water in the boiler can freeze and cause damge to that as well. As I have seen only to well.
A burst pipe is cheaper to repair than a floor and I doubt your insurance would pay.
Sorry to tell you this but as a repairer Ive seen this all too often and its not a pretty sight.
Ian
Caraconnect

www.caraconnect.co.uk
01206860746 07817730981
Old 23-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

As Caraconnect says, although you may find it a hassle it's essential and really not worth the risk. The insurance will not pay out and the repair bill could be horrendous.
We had 2 owners this year who decided to not only not drain down but not even turn the water supply off! You wouldn't believe the state of their vans after water had been running through them for 5 days.

Cut a piece out of the decking for access.
Old 24-08-2010, 02:17 PM

HI both, thanks for the advice it's much appreciated. I guess you are both right and I shouldn't try and cut corners. Not sure if they can move the mains tap. I expect that would be a massive job.
Will just need to put other half on a diet before winter. lol.
Old 24-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

If the mains tap is connected to blue flexible pipe coming up from the ground it's a simple job to extend it to a more convenient location.