SPONSOR: Static Caravan Insurance
Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Central heating or Electric!?!?

Hi,

Newbie here, I'm looking at purchasing a static and living in while starting a new build. What I want to know is:- Does there have to be mains gas on the new build site for a centrally heated caravan or can it run off a gas bottle? If it can run off a bottle how long will a bottle last on average.. or is electric a better option all round? All replys will be of great help!

Thank you!!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Hi, most if not all caravns run on LPG in cylinders or even on sites that are piped its LPG.
I think it will depend on what van you get as if its got a boiler it will run on LPG as far as I know.
As for how long will a cylinder last depends on if your in it in the winter or just the summer ?? Winter with weather like we have now I recon about a week
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Cheers for that.. It could be a long term thing.. So I would have thought we will be in the caravan through the summer into next winter.. perhaps electric would be better then. Otherwise the gas would cost of small fortune!!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie76 View Post
Cheers for that.. It could be a long term thing.. So I would have thought we will be in the caravan through the summer into next winter.. perhaps electric would be better then. Otherwise the gas would cost of small fortune!!
Like I said I think you will have to have gas for central heating (if van has it??) as that won't work on electric
Old 14-03-2012, 01:14 PM

we have a paraffin heater and its brilliant, its not one of the old greenhouse types or the one your gran had, its like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Zibro-...item56482d6a3c

it can be set to come on in the morning before you get up, has a fan/blower and really heats throughout the van if the doors are open, its also thermostatically controlled - use low odour paraffin or even odourless, and other than a VERY slight smell at the initial start up (for a duration of about 5 secs max) you dont smell a thing !!!

well worth considering, you can get them cheaper if you shop around !!!
Old 14-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
If you are using it during winter CH may be better comfort wise but you have to factor in the cost (inc extra cost of van), our gas is piped but costs approx twice what it costs at home with electricity about the same cost as at home.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 15-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Newbie here, I'm looking at purchasing a static and living in while starting a new build. What I want to know is:- Does there have to be mains gas on the new build site for a centrally heated caravan or can it run off a gas bottle? If it can run off a bottle how long will a bottle last on average.. or is electric a better option all round? All replys will be of great help!

Thank you!!
Hi Mattie,
it depends what you are planning to run from the electric supply. if you are using all the things a standard household would need, i.e. shower, cooker, lighting, telly, etc. you would need to be connected to a mains supply, but be very carefull about how many appliances you were using at one time.
Old 15-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, try using the search button and type in words like gas, CH running costs etc, I'll post some links for you shortly to help.

EDIT

Here's some links on relevant topics, grab a coffee, you could be gone some time! (to shorten your 'read', use the 'search this thread option at the top of page, key in your word ie gas, running costs, etc, it will then highlight these words within the posts, that way you can 'speed read' and cut out the waffle lol)

gas v electric heating
gas or electric thread
Heating bill thread
coping with condensation thread
coping with winter issues thread
heating thread
comfort in a static caravan thread
blown air heating thread
Gas bottle 'empty' again! thread

there you go... you often find reading answers to a query will throw up even more questions, so if you need any more helps with links, just ask and one of us will guide you

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 15-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 13-01-2013, 01:00 AM

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default useful info

Refreshing a useful thread

Angela B
Mod team

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 13-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Hi, most if not all caravns run on LPG in cylinders or even on sites that are piped its LPG.
I think it will depend on what van you get as if its got a boiler it will run on LPG as far as I know.
As for how long will a cylinder last depends on if your in it in the winter or just the summer ?? Winter with weather like we have now I recon about a week
We are on a site that is 'non-gas', with electric central heating via a boiler and an electric fire. From what I have learnt it is reckoned that electric, if it is available, is cheaper than gas. No problems running out or having to chase around to buy gas bottles either and our electric seems to definitely be cheaper at about 8p per unit than gas would cost.