Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 17-06-2013, 13:44
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Does anyone in a flood zone have a "flotation device' fitted?

This question has been posted on Twitter today, billoz has one of these, does anyone else? This will be an interesting topic to discuss.

I'll post again when I know more

Thank you

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 17-06-2013 at 13:49.

Old 17-06-2013, 16:36
Social Media Boss

Marche Industries just outside Welshpool make them. The cost is approx 3,000.

I'll find a link and more info

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 22-07-2013 at 06:01.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:56
Forum Advertiser

From an Insurance point of view, flotation devices can make a huge difference if you are on a site that has been subject to flooding in recent years - even if your van did not actually flood.

If you don't have a flotation device on some of the most high risk sites then you premiums can be way above the average.

I don't know much more about the devices if it costs around 3000 and you upgrade your van can the flotation device be moved to a new van or would you need to purchase a new one
Old 18-06-2013, 09:00
Social Media Boss

Thanks for that, I'll get some more info ....

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 18-06-2013, 09:02
Social Media Boss

Marche industries

http://www.marcheindustries.net/contact.htm

http://www.marcheindustries.net/flot...cantilever.htm (website)

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 17-10-2013 at 11:23.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:19

Very useful links Angela. Also, might be an idea to check with an insurance company by asking for a quote for insurance before you buy a caravan on any site? Its been a while since I bought my last caravan having had several over the years but last time I found what I wanted then got a quote on the caravan. I found out then that the site has never been flooded and had virtual zero risk and that there had never been any thefts either from the caravans themselves or even the outdoor sheds etc. If you ask an insurance company, they will tell you of any risks as part of your quote but do it BEFORE you buy. Afterwards its too late.

Last edited by RRRob; 18-06-2013 at 09:32.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:44
Forum Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Very useful links Angela. Also, might be an idea to check with an insurance company by asking for a quote for insurance before you buy a caravan on any site? Its been a while since I bought my last caravan having had several over the years but last time I found what I wanted then got a quote on the caravan. I found out then that the site has never been flooded and had virtual zero risk and that there had never been any thefts either from the caravans themselves or even the outdoor sheds etc. If you ask an insurance company, they will tell you of any risks as part of your quote but do it BEFORE you buy. Afterwards its too late.
Very Good Advice Rob, always best to get an idea of premiums before committing to anything
Old 22-07-2013, 07:20

Hi Guys, the site i have mine on has them on all the statics and the lodges next to the river which are worth about 150,000.00, there quite a few that are double size, when the river comes up they just float and when the river goes down the rest back into place, all it is is a metal box with polystyrene in them.

Some insurance companies require you to maintain them yearly. Always insure them for 5000.00

In 2007 when all of Stratford was completely flooded most of the sites caravans were lost, since the flotation devices have been fitted i believe only a few have been damaged and that mainly happens when the caravan rises and something get stuck under so it doesn't sit right.

The main issue i have seen is the gas pipework and gas bottles, make sure you have the gas bottles connected via long braided quick release hoses that way when the static rises so does the gas pipework, make sure the gas bottles are in a secure metal case, that way they will not float away.

I will get some pictures this week so you can see them.

Jason

Last edited by jjuk26; 22-07-2013 at 07:23.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:35

Thats very interesting Jason & will be useful for those in similar positions close to rivers etc. Judging by the recent weather forcasts of a break in the hot weather with possible violent thunderstorms & flash flooding, lets hope they are not needed! As an afterthought, it is said that one of the safest places to be in a thunderstorm is a car because its basically a metal Fariday cage and insulated from ground by the rubber tyres. Wonder if that holds true for caravans too? Its a metal box which is a good start but not really isolated from ground because of the legs, tripod stabilisers, anchor chains, wiring etc. Anyone know how safe or vulnerable statics are in a near lightning strike?
Old 27-07-2013, 13:09

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jjuk26/slideshow/

Guys here are some pictures of my static, there are some of the flotation device as well

Jason